Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Birthday

Last week, I turned 28.

It's not supposed to be an exciting birthday.  You don't get to test for your driver's license or register to vote.  It's not as exciting as 10 was (I'm finally in the double digits!) or 13 (finally a teenager!) or even 21 (card me all you want, Mr. Waiter Man, I'm legal!).  The only exciting (?) thing about being 28 is that I've been an 'adult' and out of high school 10 years.

But I really enjoyed it.  Yes, there was that awkward moment when one of my 7th graders realized I was much older than every member of One Direction, but I'm seriously ok with that.  And then there was the realization that I'm almost 30...yowza.  I think I'm ok with that.  Ask me again next year.

I think I liked turning 28 because there was nothing super special about turning 28 if that makes any sense.  I'm finally starting to feel comfortable in my own skin and my birthday was a bit of a flag on this mountain (not that I'm mountainous.  unless Hubs made steak and potatoes for dinner.  even then, at best I'm perhaps foothill-ous?).  This has not been an easy year.  I had some rough days at church, we bought a house, let Mike move in with us and we suffered through a miscarriage.  I thought back over all of that and more, and realized that God has brought me through those and used them to make me into a better woman than I was.  I am more dependent on Him, I know His heart for this world better than I did last year and I am better able to enjoy the coolest husband ever.

So I thank God for this year, and eagerly await what He brings next.

~JB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - I love comments!