Thursday, August 16, 2012

Nothing Better

Do you ever have one of those moments you want to capture perfectly because you know that your remembering of it will pale in comparison to the actual event?

Last week, I had the honor of getting to be a part of one of those holy moments.  Truth was shared, tears were cried, and fervent prayer had it's place.  I couldn't believe, even as the conversation was happening, that God would let me participate in His work in this way.  A teenager who just found out that his dad was moving to the area was looking for a place to learn about God.  So I told him about our youth programs and encouraged him to come check out the church.  Then he began to share his story.  He'd never known what the cross meant, why people would believe in God or even be interested in Jesus.  But God was working in him and Andrew, without knowing why, googled 'churches in Pittsburgh' and picked up the phone.

Why would God trust me to explain the cross to this teenager?  Does He not know my track record for screwing things up?  Perhaps I should re-submit my resume or schedule a review.  I'm a verbal train wreck of tactless, blunt and oblivious with some onomatopoeia thrown in there for fun.  This is why I work well with middle schoolers - they understand me when I talk in noises and they don't have much tact either.

Isn't it beautiful to be a part of "But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong." (1 Cor 1:27)?  That's why God uses folks with my track record of word vomit to teach this broken world about Himself.  The God of the Universe chooses the weak, the screwups, the word vomiters to be a part of His family and do His work.

So pray for Andrew, and know that God is in the business of using us in our imperfections.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - I love comments!