Sunday, April 15, 2012

Fruit

Oh no, not the kind you eat.

The kind you labor for, sweat over, pray for, and sometimes never see.

But that elusive fruit?  I got a freaking basket today.

Let me explain a little.  Youth ministry can be hard, draining, frustrating and sometimes sad.  And then, just like that, you get a day when every late night, every conversation, every shaving cream pie in the face is worth it. 

Today, I watched 3 of my students get on the main stage at the church and share how their lives were touched by a recent trip to Haiti.  They explained their faith, their reason for hope, their vision of God's plan for their lives, better than most adults I know. 

We had a leader meeting for a weekend trip we're taking to CIY Believe next weekend (normally, I wouldn't promote a certain ministry, but these guys know what's up).  I was so encouraged by the heart of these leaders who are willing to give up their weekend for two solid days of life with 6th, 7th and 8th grade students.  And there aren't any empty seats on the bus.  And they are so excited - not because it's going to be a great conference, but because they believe that middle school students are worth it. 

One of those high school leaders I met when she was in 7th grade.  She was bubbly, loud, gossiped a ton and flirted way too much with the guys.  Today, she is a leader in our youth group, is doing her senior project on exploited women around the world and has had her heart broken for the world that she lives in. 

At our middle school service, I got pied in the face.  Ten times, to be exact.  And the girl who pied me (I told the girl leading the game to pick little scrawny kids who wouldn't break my nose) asked me if  we had lost the game, would I have been mad at her.  My heart broke.  This 7th grade girl has no clue of her value in this Kingdom.  She still thinks she needs to win to be liked. 

This fruit, it tastes so good.  It smells of eternity, and it's sweetness reminds me of the Father's love.  Lately, life has not been so sweet and it was so good to be reminded that the darkness will not last.  Eternity shines too bright to be hidden by the crap of this world.

~JB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - I love comments!