Monday, June 4, 2012

"What do you do all day?"

Since I've been asked this question three times this week, I thought I'd let all of you inquiring minds know exactly how I occupy my hours.  So here's a regular day:

Oh wait, I forgot to mention that in youth ministry there is no such thing as a regular day.  

Instead, here are some of the tasks I accomplished last week:

  • re-outlined the New Testament half of our Bible reading plan for students
  • wrestled with balancing "we have restrictions on this for a reason", "yes, I know they are a core family and their kid needs to be connected" and "if you let any more students sign up to help at summer camp, you will cause chaos and will need to buy margaritas for all the adults that have to supervise them"
  • took cookies to the local high school during lunchtime and encouraged students that Jesus still loves them even if they bomb their finals
  • met with our middle school student leaders to plan our June outreach event
  • planned our June young adult event
  • input all of our summer camp middle school volunteers into the church database
  • filmed a video with an 8th grader at the mall about how to not make friends (the amount of awkwardness was directly proportional to how funny it is)
  • talked with our Director of Small Groups about how to get young women connected
  • creeped on prom pictures via Facebook
  • planned out a meeting for the upcoming 6th grade parents for this weekend
  • wrote a note to a rather exceptional 7th grade girl 
  • put off calling women I'm hoping to recruit for 6th grade small group leadership this fall
  • learned how broken one of my 6th grade girls' family is
I really couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.  Up next week: actually calling those women, planning a sleepover for my 6th grade girls small group at my house and reaching out to our summer interns.

I freaking love my job!

JB




No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think - I love comments!